[libvirt] Currently in freeze for 0.8.8, rc2 available

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Mon Feb 14 10:46:01 UTC 2011

On 14/02/2011, at 8:15 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 14/02/2011, at 3:22 PM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> <snip>
>> it does fix the error messages I had on linux configure,
>> but I'm not sure the issues on Win32 and OS-X are all sorted
>> out yet, so please check.
>
> Still broken on OSX.  :(

Found the commit which introduces the breakage, it's this one:

  commit 2169472ab6cac3bdb1f32578de2b608a61a1d703
  Author: Jiri Denemark <jdenemar at redhat.com>
  Date:   Wed Feb 2 16:37:10 2011 +0100

      qemu: Add shortcut for HMP pass through

      Currently users who want to use virDomainQemuMonitorCommand() API or
      it's virsh equivalent has to use the same protocol as libvirt uses for
      communication to qemu. Since the protocol is QMP with current qemu and
      HMP much more usable for humans, one ends up typing something like the
      following:

          virsh qemu-monitor-command DOM \
      '{"execute":"human-monitor-command","arguments":{"command-line":"info kvm"}}'

      which is not a very convenient way of debugging qemu.

      This patch introduces --hmp option to qemu-monitor-command, which says
      that the provided command is in HMP. If libvirt uses QMP to talk with
     qemu, the command will automatically be converted into QMP. So the
       example above is simplified to just

         virsh qemu-monitor-command --hmp DOM "info kvm"

      Also the result is converted from

          {"return":"kvm support: enabled\r\n"}

      to just plain HMP:

          kvm support: enabled

      If libvirt talks to qemu in HMP, --hmp flag is obviously a noop.

Now, I just need to understand how this patch causes the error:

  ld: duplicate symbol _virDomainQemuMonitorCommandFlags in ./.libs/libvirt_util.a(libvirt_util_la-bitmap.o) and ./.libs/libvirt_util.a(libvirt_util_la-authhelper.o)

Suggestions and pointers welcome. :)

+ Justin