[libvirt] [libvirt-php] About the inconsistency in libvirt-php

Michal Novotny minovotn at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 07:57:15 UTC 2011

On 02/22/2011 08:49 AM, Lyre wrote:

>     From my understanding virConnectListActiveDomains() is listing all
>     the active (running) domains and virConnectListDefinedDomains() is
>     listing all the inactive domains that are defined since if we
>     create a domain directly from XML, i.e. non-persistent, we have
>     the domain in active domains list but it's not defined. Only
>     inactive but defined domains are in the defined list AFAIK.
>

> I can't find the function virConnectListActiveDomains(), did you mean
> virConnectListActiveDomains()?

Oh, sorry. It's called virConnectListDomains() in libvirt: Collect the
list of active domains, and store their ID in @maxids. So that's why I
rewrote it to lookup domain by ID and get the domain name to add to the
list. I did rewrite some codes there and also I'm thinking of adding
comments there. This will be later used to generate API documentation
for the site.

>     If we have 2 domains created *directly* from XML file, 3
>     persistent domains active and 4 domains inactive (but defined) we
>     should be getting number 5 from virConnectListActiveDomains()
>     since 2 + 3. For defined (inactive) domains we should be getting
>     number for and total number should be 2 + 3 + 4 = 9 domains.
>

> Confused, do you missed some words?

I apologize. I made a typo there since I meant "For defined (inactive)
domains we should be getting number four (4)".

> Shouldn't it be:
>
> 2 active but not defined
> 3 active but defined
> 4 inactive and defined
> 2 + 3 = 5 active
> 3 + 4 = 7 defined
> 2 + 3 + 4 = 9 total

Well, from what I know defined domains are those that are both defined
and *not* active as written at [1]: "Provides the number of defined but
inactive domains.". Please note "but inactive". So therefore defined is
returns number 4.

Michal

[1]
http://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt.html#virConnectNumOfDefinedDomains

--
Michal Novotny<minovotn at redhat.com>, RHCE
Virtualization Team (xen userspace), Red Hat