[libvirt] [virt-tools-list] [RFC] virt-disk : a command line tool for modify domain XML's disk of inactive domains.

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 13:07:38 UTC 2011

On 02/21/2011 07:15 PM, Eric Blake wrote:

> What's wrong with directly patch libvirt's virsh command line tool to
> add in the extra functionality?
>
>> Do you think should all be supported by 'a' command ? or by a set of commands ?
>>
>> [at modify cpu]
>> % virt-modify --cpu .....
>> or
>> % virt-cpu-modify   .....
>
> That is, for the example of modifying the number of vcpus available to a
> guest, what's wrong with 'virsh setvcpus' with its various options?

I think --cpu was means <cpu> XML, not <vpcu> XML.

Generally I don't think we should patch virsh for this because the overhead of
implementing this all in C is prohibitive compared to python. Additionally
there is already an external library that implements the vast majority of
libvirt XML building and parsing (virtinst).

Granted if we allowed virsh access to src/conf/*, we would get XML handling
for free, but it would still require lots of command line handling, which
would be duplicating functionality that already needs to live in
virtinst/virt-manager anyways.

I think a new tool is required and that it would ideally supersede virsh for
all XML editing/creating.

- Cole