[libvirt] Using dlls for Windows provided in http://libvirt.org/sources/win32_experimental/Libvirt-0.8.7-2.exe

Schnizer, Monika monika.schnizer at ts.fujitsu.com
Thu Feb 24 16:30:45 UTC 2011

Dear Daniel,

	thank you very much for your quick answer.

Yes, I have read LGPL in detail.
And to be honest, I have doubts that we can proceed in the way proposed.
Some discussions cannot simply done with legal, as all LGPL does have
aspects that are more technical. So in fact technical and legal
knowledge do have to be combined.

So let me outline, why I do have doubts that we can proceed in this way:
a) If we use that installation executable, we need to have exactly those sources,
   including the scripts that create the executable.
b) As soon as we take only parts of the complete work, e.g. take
   only some libraries out of it, then under strict interpretation
   of the LGPL, we would create a work based on the orginal work.
   The original work in this case being the installation executable,
   all ist binaries and sources.
c) Having a work based on the original code the LGPL is very strict:
   We could only distribute it separately from our other SW, in order
   to avoid a strong copy-left-effect.

The question now is:
	do we interprete LGPL too strict?

I currently wonder whom to address with such refined questions concerning
LGPL interpretation.
Would you have an idea? Some open source institution?

I suppose that the following approach is conform to LGPL:
Method 2:
a) we download sources for libvirt.
b) we compile themselves in our Windows environment
c) we then distribute the binaries with our application.
Of course we do the following:
	we tell that we use libvirt
	provide the license
	provide copy right information
	tell the customer that he has the right to receive sources (for three years after last distribution)
	and/or provide sources together with binary.

Even if nobody could answer 100%, the copyright holders could give us the right
to extract dlls from the installation executable.
That is why I would like to contact them.

With best regards,
Monika Schnizer
--

Monika Schnizer
Software Development

FUJITSU
Fujitsu TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS  GmbH
Domagk-Str.28, 80807 Munich, Germany
Tel:  +49 (89) 3222 2287
Fax:  +49 (89) 3222 329 2287
Email:  Monika.Schnizer at ts.fujitsu.com
Web:   http://ts.fujitsu.com
Company Details: de.ts.fujitsu.com/imprint.html