[libvirt] virsh + ssh

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Jan 3 21:32:00 UTC 2011

On 01/01/2011 03:38 AM, Daniel Huhardeaux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> connecting to a remote server using qemu+ssh is always done with root
> user. The problem we face is that we don't allow root connection for ssh.

I haven't tried, but it seems to me like you should be able to do
qemu+ssh://user@remote/system in order to connect as user instead of root.

Also, as documented in http://libvirt.org/drvqemu.html, you can modify
/etc/libvirt/qemu.conf on the remote machine in order to affect which
uid and gid will be used for qemu processes, and the corresponding
impacts that has on what must be made accessible to a given user.  But
once you have another user (such as qemu:qemu) configured to be able to
start a qemu VM locally, then it seems like a remote ssh connection to
that user should work.

I'm not a fan of the idea of adding a sudo invocation on the remote
side, and hope that we can find a way to resolve your real issue
(connecting as non-root) without having to throw sudo into the mix.