[libvirt] Release of libvirt-0.8.7

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Wed Jan 5 15:43:28 UTC 2011

On 01/05/2011 06:12 AM, Zdenek Styblik wrote:

> What I'm trying to say is I'm not using everything from libvirt, but
> only what I actually need. Thus eg. iSCSI and NetCF support is disabled
> atm, although I wanted to look into NetCF.

Zdenek - I'd be very happy to have a Slackware port of netcf, and would
be willing to help out getting it in (as long as you'd be willing to
help me setup a Slackware guest so I could test your patches ;-) There
have been 4 other people who started netcf ports (debian, arch linux,
suse, and (believe it or not, MS Windows)), but so far none has followed
through to actually pushing something into the main netcf git.

The main page to netcf is:

    https://fedorahosted.org/netcf

The first step would be to subscribe to the netcf-devel mailing list:

It's *very* low traffic, so it won't add much to your daily mail culling.

I can help you out figuring out which bits need replacing for a
different platform (although I'm afraid I probably can't be much help
with what they should be replaced with :-)

> On the other hand I can say I'm pleased to see Slackware pkg at web site
> of any application if I want to try something fast(and curse man whom
> build package for dependencies I could do without :]). Yes, it sure
> could be a nice "bonus".
>
> If there are any requirements for package on what libvirt should have
> support for, let me know and I'll see what I can do about it.

Speaking of that, I don't know if you noticed, but support for IPv6
virtual networks was added in this release. However, in order for it to
all work properly, you need to have the following binaries installed on
the build machine (autoconfigure finds them and etches their paths into
the libvirtd binary):

command   package
-------   -------
ip        (iproute)
ip6tables (iptables-ipv6)
radvd     (radvd)

and of course a couple that were already required:

iptables  (iptables)
dnsmasq   (dnsmasq)

ip, iptables, and dnsmasq are required (on the build machine as well as
the target) for IPv4 virtual network support, and all 5 are required for
IPv6.

> As for 'Downloads' page ~ since this is only package, I'm not sure if it
> is worth of bother at all ;) Links(information) can be found in mailing
> list archives(via search engines). Dunno.

Searching sometimes leads to lots of useless junk that you have to sift
through to find what you're looking for, and the source of any links is
often (at least should be considered!) questionable. Putting a link on
the Downloads page of the official project site gives it an extra bit of
legitimacy that will give people a warm fuzzy feeling when they install
:-) But of course, the link needs to always have something at its other
end. So if those links are there to stay, then I'd say add them to the
Downloads page for libvirt (assuming we can trust you to not put a
trojan in the binary! :-)