[libvirt] libvirt 0.8.7 msys and xdr weirdness

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 7 23:33:00 UTC 2011

2011/1/5 Justin Clift <jclift at redhat.com>:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> Have you tried out libvirt 0.8.7 yet with your msys scripts?
>
> Giving it a shot here, but am hitting problems with the --with-remote part.  ./configure isn't finding the XDR library.
>
>  checking for xdrmem_create in -lportablexdr... no
>  checking for library containing xdrmem_create... no
>  configure: error: Cannot find a XDR library
>
> Wondering if you've had a chance to look at 0.8.7 with msys yet, and if you've come across the same problem?
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

At first I wanted to say works for me, as I had tested the 0.8.7 RC1
successfully, but then I checked the local diff in my tree and saw
that I had fixed a problem in portablexdr that I hadn't converted in a
proper patch yet.

The problem was that libvirt's configure script recently started to
check explicitly for rpc/rpc.h. This header just contains this three
lines

#include "config.h"
#include <rpc/types.h>
#include <rpc/xdr.h>

This is totally fine when included in libvirt, but in the configure
conftest code the include for config.h fails making the whole check
for portablexdr fail. That's what you're seeing in this line from
configure

checking for xdrmem_create in -lportablexdr... no

I've fixed this now and pushed a patch for this to the github repo.

Matthias