[libvirt] Need a better word than "allocated" or "ascertained"

Balbir Singh balbir at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Jan 10 08:55:43 UTC 2011

* Nikunj A. Dadhania <nikunj at linux.vnet.ibm.com> [2011-01-07 15:23:54]:

> CC'ing Balbir..
>
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 10:33:08 +0100, Zdenek Styblik <stybla at turnovfree.net> wrote:
> > On 01/07/2011 10:10 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
> > > On 07/01/2011, at 6:12 PM, Nikunj A. Dadhania wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > > Balbir's suggested wording (from the email):
> > >
> > >   "limit to enforce on memory contention"
> > >
> > > Does that mean it's the minimum memory "limit" it would really like to
> > > have, but can't guarantee it?  (ie it's not guaranteed)
> >
> > I'm getting a bit confused here. "enforced" really doesn't fit into the
> > context, or does it?
> >
> > What should it say/explain? [soft-limit]
> > Who is target audience?
> >
> > And I think the last question is very important, because your technical
> > mambo-jumbo might be just fine and tip-top to the last bit, but if
> > nobody else understands it, then such help seems to be a bit helpless to
> > me. Meaning:
> > * allocated/guaranteed I can imagine;
> > * ascertained gave me really non-sense translation, although that might
> > be caused by crappy dictionary;
> > * enforced - uh ... how? what? when? Is it when host is running low on
> > memory and/or there are "many" VMs competing for memory? If so, please
> > explain it somewhere if it isn't already(yeah, I'm trying to figure out
> > the meaning).
> >
> > Or what happens when memory reaches 'soft-limit'?

enforced is same as policing or forcing, whether or not the
application likes it. A soft limit is enforced when we hit resource
contention (that is the operating system finds it has to do work to
find free memory for applications), soft limits kick in and try to
push down each cgroup to their soft limit.

--
	Three Cheers,
	Balbir