[libvirt] esx driver: XML format for guest OS type/variant

Jake Xu jake at demonwaremail.net
Tue Jan 11 01:53:46 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am trying to create a VM using the Python bindings of Libvirt. I can
successfully create VM from a XML template, but I can't find any way to
define the guest OS type/variant like CentOS 5.5 64bit for my VM. The native
format converted from XML is always guestOS="other-64" - which doesn't tell
us much about the guest operating system.

I have looked at the C libvirt source code a bit, and it seems like libvirt
does not support defining guest os type using XML description yet.

Is there any way I can set the guest OS type for my VM?

Thanks,
Jake