[libvirt] compressing .git/ can save 15%

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Jan 12 10:14:23 UTC 2011

Hi DV,

I ran this on a fresh clone of libvirt:

    $ du -sh .git; git gc --aggressive; du -sh .git
    54M     .git
    45M     .git

I propose to do the same thing on the server, libvirt.org.
It's not a big deal, but decreased bandwidth wouldn't hurt,
and the slightly smaller on-disk repository makes even local
git tools feel a little snappier.  It's worth doing for all git
repositories.

As far as I know, no one stores anything useful as "unlinked" commits
on the server (they would be removed by the above), so there is no
down-side to doing this.  In fact, "man git-gc" recommends to run
git gc --aggressive "every few hundred changesets or so".
Adding a cron job to do it every few weeks would be nice (e.g., Sunday
at 4am local).  Let me know and I'll do it via my account.