[libvirt] compressing .git/ can save 15%

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Jan 12 10:49:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 11:14:23AM +0100, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Hi DV,

  Hi Jim !

> I ran this on a fresh clone of libvirt:
>
>     $ du -sh .git; git gc --aggressive; du -sh .git
>     54M     .git
>     45M     .git
>
> I propose to do the same thing on the server, libvirt.org.
> It's not a big deal, but decreased bandwidth wouldn't hurt,
> and the slightly smaller on-disk repository makes even local
> git tools feel a little snappier.  It's worth doing for all git
> repositories.
>
> As far as I know, no one stores anything useful as "unlinked" commits
> on the server (they would be removed by the above), so there is no
> down-side to doing this.  In fact, "man git-gc" recommends to run
> git gc --aggressive "every few hundred changesets or so".
> Adding a cron job to do it every few weeks would be nice (e.g., Sunday
> at 4am local).  Let me know and I'll do it via my account.

  Hum, I already have something similar running:

xmlsoft:~ -> cat bin/GitMaintainance
#!/bin/sh
# Garbage collect the libvirt GIT repository
git --git-dir /git/libvirt.git gc > $HOME/tmp/GitMaintainance.log 2>&1
xmlsoft:~ -> crontab -l | grep GitMaintainance
4 4 * * Sun /u/veillard/bin/GitMaintainance
xmlsoft:~ ->

  Seems to have run normally on Sun 9 Jan from what I can tell :-)

  So basically I should just add --aggressive to the garbage collection
command for extra cleanup, right ?