[libvirt] [Patch v5 0/4] Add new feature into live migration

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jan 13 13:39:38 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 09:58:21AM +0800, Wen Congyang wrote:
> At 01/05/2011 10:53 AM, Wen Congyang Write:
> > If the memory of guest OS is changed constantly, the live migration
> > can not be ended ever for ever.
> >
> > We can use the command 'virsh migrate-setmaxdowntime' to control the
> > live migration. But the value of maxdowntime is diffcult to calculate
> > because it depends on the transfer speed of network and constantly
> > changing memroy size. We need a easy way to control the live migration.
> >
> > This patch set add the support of forcing guest to suspend at timeout.
> > With this patch set, when we migrate the guest OS, we can specify a
> > timeout. If the live migration timeouts, auto-suspend the guest OS,
> > where the migration will complete offline.
> >

> Ping
>
> Hi, eric and Daniel P. Berrange
>
> do you have time to review this patch set?
> Any comment or suggestion to this patch set?

Both your patch, and Hu Tao's patch[1] for migration cancellation
are touching the same piece of code, in incompatible ways. We
want to have both your feature and Hu Tao's feature, so I think
one of you needs to merge the others' patch, and post a resulting
combined patch.

I mentioned in this posting, one possible architecture which
could address both the migrate cancel feature, and the migrate
auto-suspend / timeout feature:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-January/msg00178.html

There may be other solutions too.

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-January/msg00440.html