[libvirt] virsh setmem and setmaxmem: which XML do they match?

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Fri Jan 14 15:57:22 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Updating the man pages for the virsh setmem and setmaxmem commands at the moment.

These two commands only run on active guest domains.  So, as a helpful pointer on how
to make the change with an inactive domain, I'm going to mention what the equivalent XML
tag is for use with virsh edit.  Like this:

  Note, this command only works on active guest domains.  To change the memory
  allocation for an inactive guest domain, use the virsh B<edit> command to
  update the XML <memory> element.

I'm just not sure which XML element the setmem and setmaxmem commands map to.

Does "setmaxmem" map to <memory>, and "setmem" map to <currentMemory>?

The description in our XML format domain doc is less than clear. :/

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift