[libvirt] [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC] libxenlight driver

Stefano Stabellini stefano.stabellini at eu.citrix.com
Fri Jan 21 17:01:36 UTC 2011

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> Ok, so basically the mgmt app that is using the libxenlight API
> is taking the place of XenD. Thus in the new scheme libvirtd
> would have to handle those kind of events.

Right.
Libxenlight provides all the functions needed to do that and you can
find a reference implementation in xl (tools/libxl/xl_cmdimpl.c).

> This is fine because
> we already do that kind of thing with our other HV drivers for
> QEMU/KVM, UserModeLinux and LXC.

Good to hear.

> On a related note, where does  XenAPI fit into this picture ?
> Previously XenD would provide (at least some of) the XenAPI
> functionality in the open source stack, while I understand
> that the XenEnterprise had a separate impl of XenAPI. It
> sounds like XenAPI is likely only relevant for XenEnterprise
> connectivity in the future.

Nowadays XAPI (the XenServer toolstack) is Open Source and provides a
full feature implementation of the API. I think that users that need
XenAPI functionalities are probably best served by using XAPI rather
than XenD.