[libvirt] l10n/i18n ~ po files and their cycle

Zdenek Styblik stybla at turnovfree.net
Tue Jan 25 20:58:12 UTC 2011

On 01/25/11 21:17, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 01/25/2011 11:45 AM, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I somehow dared to open 'po/cs.po' file and it made me wonder what's the
>> life cycle of these files. Especially this file seems to be somehow
>> "shifted", because translations don't even match to their English
>> counterpart.
>
> Upstream, the .po files are re-generated with the latest available
> translation at every release.  And if that is not frequent enough for
> you, running 'make dist' will regenerate the libvirt.pot master template
> to the current source code strings then re-merge all existing
> translation .po files to use that new template (you can also use make -C
> po update-po to update just the po directory instead of creating an
> entire distribution tarball).
>
> I'm not sure where the best canonical location is for looking for the
> latest available translations, nor what schedule is used by the various
> translators in providing updated files for libvirt to incorporate
> per-release (and it probably differs by language) (GNU projects host
> translations on http://translationproject.org, but libvirt is not a GNU
> project).  Within the .po files, "shifted" locations are generally not a
> problem (locations in the .pot file are more for reference of the
> translator when translating a particular build of libvirt); gettext
> itself works on string contents rather than source code locations when

To be honest here, I haven't understood a bit of it. On the other hand,
I'm pretty maxed out and should be in bed already.

In the lame terms - modifying cs.po file - bad or good?
Where to put/post changes/diff/whatever.

And I must note I'm not going to use Czech translations by myself nor
planning to do 100% translation on my own time. Yet I can't stand
rubbish that's in the 'po/cs.po'.

On the other hand, if your answer is going to to be like: "What you're
doing is pretty much futile", then pat on back and move on *tired*

As for the plan. Clean up, translate as much as possible, somebody else
can eventually pick it up. I don't even know whom would to revision or
testing it.

> actually serving up translations.  Gettext also does a pretty decent job
> of fuzzy matching, both to make the translator's job easier
> (translations from the previous release that can carry forward to the
> current release are reused) and the end user (if the end user's
> translation database is older than the installed libvirt, they still get
> most strings translated if there wasn't a lot of churn in string
> contents in the meantime).

I'm sorta speechless. Nothing against gettext or anything, but almost
everything marked as "fuzzy" is worth of deletion.
For its defense, the last translation is from 2008 or something.
I don't feel like being able to continue in constructive way in this
paragraph :s

>> I doubt anybody is using Czech translation for libvirt and to be honest,
>> I would be enormously surprised if someone, anyone, did.
>
> One thing I've learned about i18n is to never be surprised at who is
> using a particular translation.  I'm sure that someone is using it, or
> there wouldn't have been a push to provide the translation file for
> inclusion in a libvirt release in the first place.

No Czech speaking man cares, obviously. I'm not saying you are wrong.

Thanks,
Z.

- --
Zdenek Styblik