[libvirt] RFC New virDomainBlockPull API family to libvirt

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 14:25:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Kevin Wolf <kwolf at redhat.com> wrote:
> Am 20.07.2011 15:12, schrieb Stefan Hajnoczi:

>>> Working QEMU code is pushed to:
>>> http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu/stefanha.git/shortlog/refs/heads/stream-command
>>>
>>> I am updating the QEMU wiki page with the latest changes.
>>
>> v4 posted:
>> http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/LiveBlockMigration/ImageStreamingAPI
>>
>> Adam: block_job_set_speed fully updated.
>>
>> Kevin: we talked about error values earlier.  Internally we really
>> only have an errno value when streaming fails.  I have converted this
>> to a human-readable string.
>
> If the human can read English. :-)
>
> And even though I do, I really don't like messages like I got from the
> Fedora updater in earlier versions ("You have 42 Aktualisierungen"), so
> plain strings aren't going to work well. This is true even for localised
> strerror output, as the client may use a different language than the server.
>
> I think this has been discussed multiple time in the past (we wanted to
> somehow expose something useful on I/O errors).

That's true but is there a better solution?

I'm not very enthusiastic about localizing systems software because
the error messages end up being gibberish in other languages anyway.
The translations are often literal or babelfish-style when it comes to
systems software.  Segmentation fault, Bus error, Overflow - I cringe
when I see them translated.  It's a bit of a personal rant, I know,
but wasted effort IMO.  Still better than error code #1524-1352 :).

Stefan