[libvirt] FYI: qemu -M option deprecated upstream, removed from -help output

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jul 25 09:12:03 UTC 2011

I guess this may affect the qemu driver in future ...  Thanks to
Markus Armbruster for bringing this to my/our attention.

commit 80f52a6694423da7a40e2ec39e14a5817184c7ef
Author: Jan Kiszka <>
Date:   Sat Jul 23 12:39:46 2011 +0200

    Deprecate -M command line options

    Superseded by -machine. Therefore, this patch removes -M from the help
    list and pushes -machine at the same place in the output.

commit 9052ea6bf4962b1342aa56d4341bb55176ed9e45
Author: Jan Kiszka <>
Date:   Sat Jul 23 12:38:37 2011 +0200

    Generalize -machine command line option

    -machine somehow suggests that it selects the machine, but it doesn't.
    Fix that before this command is set in stone.

    Actually, -machine should supersede -M and allow to introduce arbitrary
    per-machine options to the command line. That will change the internal
    realization again, but we will be able to keep the user interface
    stable.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/