[libvirt] Add support for image write mode in virtualbox driver

Boris FELD lothiraldan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 17:10:54 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

We currently using libvirt for PYTI GSOC Project (it works very well!)
and we encounter a problem. We use VM with two disk images, one which
must to be snapshoted/rollbacked and the other one which must be not.
We use VirtualBox as hypervisor and to do so, VirtualBox define
"Special image write modes"
(http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch05.html#hdimagewrites). What we
need is to set the type of one image to "writethrough".

This information seems defined in VM config file. For instance:
        <HardDisk uuid="{402aef07-4df8-4518-831c-eeb9ae2a32d2}"
location="/home/boris/VirtualBox VMs/PYTI.vdi" format="VDI"
type="Normal"/>
        <HardDisk uuid="{63acf6d9-b7db-4d8d-8389-1276c3d500bb}"
location="/home/boris/VirtualBox VMs/adhock.vdi" format="VDI"
type="Writethrough"/>

I found two pages mentioning the type of medium, this one:
http://www.virtualbox.org/sdkref/_virtual_box_8idl.html#b4abb9d1b9e44b997d1d2a809e66191c
and this one: http://www.virtualbox.org/sdkref/interface_i_medium_attachment.html.
Hope it will help.

Cheers,