[libvirt] Disk snapshot mode proposal: patch for storing the snapshot mode from .vmx to .xml

computernews at rambler.ru computernews at rambler.ru
Thu Jul 7 16:23:51 UTC 2011

Hello,

Few days ago I have proposed to implement the snapshot mode
functionality for esx/vpx:
Sent: "04.07.2011"
Sender: "computernews at rambler.ru"

What I meant is to allow "libvirt" to handle (see full .vmx attached) :
|vmx: scsi0:1.mode = "independent-persistent"
vmx: scsi0:2.mode = "independent-nonpersistent"|

As none has responded I decided to start implementing that myself.

By now I have the managed to implement the .vmx -> .xml part. According
to "General tips for contributing patches"
(http://libvirt.org/hacking.html#patches) I am sending the patch back to
the community as early as it has sense as I still hope to contribute
this feature to the community. It builds and has been functionally
tested. I also tried my best to stick to coding conventions applied on
the project. So I hope my patch will not take long time to analyze for
someone experienced enough.

I saw someone already has started (put few comments about snapshot modes
in src/vmx/vmx.c). So tried to undestand an original idea and keep up
with it. I hope I was not wrong there.

I am willing to keep working in this direction. So if someone would be
so kind to take a look at my efforts and provide a feedback - it would
be very nice and, I hope, useful for the rest of the project.

Attached are:
1. patch itself
2. ".vmx" file I am testing on
3. ".xml" file produced by my changes

Looking forward to hear any feedback/criticism/advices. Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Oleh Paliy