[libvirt] Disk snapshot mode proposal: patch for storing the snapshot mode from .vmx to .xml

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 9 15:52:38 UTC 2011

2011/7/7 computernews at rambler.ru <computernews at rambler.ru>:
> Hello,
>
> Few days ago I have proposed to implement the snapshot mode functionality
> for esx/vpx:

Well, I saw your mail, but missed to respond in a reasonable timeframe.

> By now I have the managed to implement the .vmx -> .xml part. According to
> "General tips for contributing patches"
> (http://libvirt.org/hacking.html#patches) I am sending the patch back to the
> community as early as it has sense as I still hope to contribute this
> feature to the community. It builds and has been functionally tested. I also
> tried my best to stick to coding conventions applied on the project. So I
> hope my patch will not take long time to analyze for someone experienced
> enough.
>
> I saw someone already has started (put few comments about snapshot modes in
> src/vmx/vmx.c). So tried to undestand an original idea and keep up with it.
> I hope I was not wrong there.
>
> I am willing to keep working in this direction. So if someone would be so
> kind to take a look at my efforts and provide a feedback - it would be very
> nice and, I hope, useful for the rest of the project.
>
> Attached are:
> 1. patch itself
> 2. ".vmx" file I am testing on
> 3. ".xml" file produced by my changes
>
> Looking forward to hear any feedback/criticism/advices. Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards
> Oleh Paliy

First of all your patch contains changes to files in the po directory.
That has to be removed from the patch.

Anyway, you decided to add an snapshot_mode attribute to the disk
element and exposed the VMX values there. I'm not sure that this is a
good idea as scsi0:0.mode affects two aspects.

scsi0:0.mode can basically have three different modes

- persistent, the default, a disk with this mode will take part in
snapshots and changes to the disk's content persist domain power
cycles and snapshot restoring.

- independent-persistent, a disk with this mode will not take part in
snapshots, but changes to the disk's content persist domain power
cycles and snapshot restoring.

- independent-nonpersistent, a disk with this mode will be not take
part in snapshots and changes to the disk's content don't persist
domain power cycles and snapshot restoring. This is realized by
writing all changes into an additional .vmdk instead of the original
.vmdk. This additional .vmdk is automatically deleted on domain power
cycles and snapshot restoring.

There are two additional but outdated modes undoable and nonpersistent
that aren't supported anymore.

So the two aspects scsi0:0.mode affects is snapshot and the
persistence of changes. I think it makes more sense to use two
attributes for the disk element to expose this.

<disk ... snapshot='yes|no' persistent='yes|no'>

- snapshot=yes persistent=yes maps to scsi0:0.mode=persistent

- snapshot=yes persistent=no is unsupported for ESX

- snapshot=no persistent=yes maps to scsi0:0.mode=independent-persistent

- snapshot=no persistent=no maps to scsi0:0.mode=independent-nonpersistent

Instead of attributes this could also be represented by subelements to
the disk element, like <shareable/> or <readonly/> for filesystem
elements, but that's a detail.

The more important question is: Is this an general concept or is it
too ESX specific?

Eric is currently discussing/designing an extension to libvirt's
snapshot/checkpoint capabilities. At the moment libvirt supports
checkpointing a complete domain including RAM image and all storage
volumes, but it doesn't support snapshotting of single storage volumes
or a subset of the storage volumes of a domain.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-June/msg00761.html

Eric suggest to extend the <domainsnapshot> and virStorageVol* APIs to
allow to include only a subset of the domain's storage volumes in a
checkpoint. This approach allows to specifiy for each checkpoint which
storage volumes to include. ESX allows something similar with the
independent modes, but you cannot define this on a per snapshot basis,
but have to decided this before. Eric's approach is more flexible but
doesn't work for ESX. I wonder if we could add the snapshot
attribute/subelement to the disk element. This allows to set the
independent mode for ESX and allows to define a preset for other
hypervisors like QEMU that will support Eric's more flexible approach.

So when you don't explicitly define which disk to include in a
checkpoint in the <domainsnapshot> XML then the snapshot setting from
the the <domain> XML apply. If there are no presets for snapshot it
defaults to yes. For QEMU you could override the snapshot setting from
the <domain> XML in the <domainsnapshot> XML, for ESX you either don't
specify this in the <domainsnapshot> XML or have to match the settings
from the <domain> XML due to the way ESX works.

The persistence setting might be more ESX specific, but I think
libvirt could realize this for QEMU too, when the domain is using
qcow2 images with a base image. In that case libvirt could clear the
qcow2 image when the domain is restarted to realize persistent=no. I
might be incorrect here as I'm not the QEMU expert here.

In general, I think that this works out quite well.

Eric what do you think about adding snapshot preset per disk element
to your snapshot extension proposal, so we can reuse it for ESX.

On a second thought we might want to use negative word so we don't add
subelements for the defaults, for example

    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <source file='[datastore] test1/test1.vmdk'/>
      <target dev='sda' bus='scsi'/>
      <independent/>
      <nonpersistent/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>

would disable snapshots and makes the disk non-persistent.

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com