[libvirt] Disk snapshot mode proposal: patch for storing the snapshot mode from .vmx to .xml

computernews at rambler.ru computernews at rambler.ru
Tue Jul 12 08:38:29 UTC 2011

Hello,

So what I see from the discussion is that I have to reimplement my patch
one way or another (attribute / sub-element). So I am eager to do that
as soon as the choice is made (unless you decide otherwise and want
someone else to implement that).

Now that you have explained the bigger picture with more details (other
hypervisors but the ESX)  let me summarize an upcoming changes into a
specification:
Value in .vmx file
	representation in <domain> XML" as attributes
	representation in <domain> XML" as sub-items 	Description
scsi0:0.mode = "persistent" 	<disk ... snapshot='yes' persistent='yes'>

	Default. Snapshots are in use, changes survive power cycles
scsi0:0.mode = "independent-persistent" 	<disk ... snapshot='no'
persistent='yes'> 	<independent/> 	No snapshot logic is applicable,
changes remain
scsi0:0.mode = "independent-nonpersistent" 	<disk ... snapshot='no'
persistent='no'> 	<independent/> <nonpersistent/> 	No snapshots, changes
lost after domain power cycles
scsi0:0.mode = "undoable" 	<disk ... snapshot='no' persistent='yes'>
<independent/> 	for backwards compatibility
scsi0:0.mode = "nonpersistent" 	<disk ... snapshot='no'
persistent='no'> 	<independent/> <nonpersistent/> 	for backwards
compatibility

Also the reverse conversion has to be implemented (<domain> XML -> vmx
file).

Obviously the appropriate <domain> XML format description changes has to
be made here: http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsDisks. I can
do that as well.

Best regards
Oleh Paliy