[libvirt] RFC New virDomainBlockPull API family to libvirt

Kevin Wolf kwolf at redhat.com
Wed Jul 20 13:40:16 UTC 2011

Am 20.07.2011 15:12, schrieb Stefan Hajnoczi:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think the block_job_set_speed semantics seem reasonable to me. What is
>>> the method for querying the current speed setting?  I would suggest
>>> extending the query-block-job command to include this information.  In
>>> this case, I would extend virDomainBlockJobInfo to contain:
>>>
>>>        /* The maximum allowable bandwidth for this job (MB/s) */
>>>        unsigned long bandwidth;
>>
>> Working QEMU code is pushed to:
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu/stefanha.git/shortlog/refs/heads/stream-command
>>
>> I am updating the QEMU wiki page with the latest changes.
>
> v4 posted:
> http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/LiveBlockMigration/ImageStreamingAPI
>
> Adam: block_job_set_speed fully updated.
>
> Kevin: we talked about error values earlier.  Internally we really
> only have an errno value when streaming fails.  I have converted this
> to a human-readable string.

If the human can read English. :-)

And even though I do, I really don't like messages like I got from the
Fedora updater in earlier versions ("You have 42 Aktualisierungen"), so
plain strings aren't going to work well. This is true even for localised
strerror output, as the client may use a different language than the server.

I think this has been discussed multiple time in the past (we wanted to
somehow expose something useful on I/O errors).

Kevin