[libvirt] Changing device owner

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Sat Jul 30 13:20:02 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-30 at 12:12 +0300, Shahar Havivi wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Regarding vdsm changing a device owner,
> Last time I asked in #virt for using usb device in vdsm hook in
> /dev/bus/usb/<addr> I was told that vdsm should change the owner to qemu:kvm.
> So for the sr-iov device /sys/bus/pci/devices/<addr>/resource*, rom, and reset
> libvirt should change the owner and not vdsm?

I'm not in any position to say who should do what between vdsm and
libvirt.  However, the end result for device assignment to work with an
unprivileged guest is that someone needs to change file ownership on
those pci sysfs files before qemu is launched or before devices are hot
added to a guest.  libvirt does this for a purely libvirt managed guest.
In the example we saw yesterday, nobody was doing it.  Thanks,

Alex