[libvirt] FreeBSD Port, update to 0.9.2 compile error

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Jun 12 20:18:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 10:04:22AM -0700, Jason Helfman wrote:

> >>  That IMHO avoids the problem completely and I doubt anybody would
> >>complain
> >
> >I agree, and we already use that in one place in python/Makefile.am:
> >
> >   $(PYTHON) $(srcdir)/$(GENERATE) $(PYTHON)
> >
> >>we should even be able to detect at configure and take specific
> >>paths if people want to use a non-system python binary by extending
> >>
> >>paphio:~/libvirt -> ./configure --help | grep python
> >>  --with-python           Build python bindings [default=yes]
> >>
> >> to take a path
> >
> >No extension needed, it already supports that (although it's not advertised
> >anywhere). One can use the following forms
> >
> >   --with-python
> >   --with-python=/usr/local
> >   --with-python=/usr/local/bin/python
> >   PYTHON=/usr/local/bin/python --with-python
> >
> >Jirka
> >

> Sounds good to me. How would the python script in question support this?

(1) Rename the original script so it is called 'foo.in' (for each
original script called 'foo')

(2) At the top of 'foo.in' place the following two lines:

#!@PYTHON@
# @configure_input@

(3) In configure.ac, you have to make two changes:

  (a) in AC_CONFIG_FILES, add an entry for 'foo'

  (b) add a new line AC_SUBST([PYTHON]) after the current
      line AC_SUBST([PYTHON_INCLUDES])

(4) Run 'autoconf'.

./configure will then generate 'foo' from 'foo.in', replacing all
@...@ sequences, so for example the first line above would be replaced
with #!/usr/local/bin/python.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top