[libvirt] qemu error: "fsdev is not supported by this qemu build."

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jun 22 11:27:50 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:43:48AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> When trying to add a 9p filesystem to a guest, I get the qemu error
> "fsdev is not supported by this qemu build." (when starting the
> guest).
>
> I'm still looking at this.  It seems to be something to do with the
> machine type causing the -fsdev option not to be registered inside
> qemu.  I just wanted to record the problem here in case anyone else
> has any ideas.
>
> Full XML and qemu command line is below.

This is all fine & practically identical to what I've used

> Occurs with:
>
> libvirt-0.9.2-2.fc16.x86_64
> 2:qemu-system-x86-0.14.0-8.fc16.x86_64

I have qemu-0.14.0-0.1.201102107aa8c46.fc15.x86_64  which I
built myself. IIUC the code, the only way you can lack the
fsdev support is if libattr.so was not present during the
build. So perhaps  the Fedora QEMU RPM is missing a
BuildRequires: libattr-devel, and I just happened to have
that available on the machine I did my build on.