[libvirt] Make check on current git fails when building --with-vbox

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 7 21:00:07 UTC 2011

2011/6/7 Ruben Kerkhof <ruben at rubenkerkhof.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> ./configure --without-vbox
> make
> make check
>
> produces on my F-13 and F-15 machines.
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ruben/src/libvirt/tests'
> make  virshtest conftest sockettest nodeinfotest qparamtest virbuftest
> commandtest commandhelper seclabeltest hashtest   qemuxml2argvtest
> qemuxml2xmltest qemuargv2xmltest qemuhelptest openvzutilstest
> vmx2xmltest xml2vmxtest  networkxml2xmltest nwfilterxml2xmltest
> storagevolxml2xmltest storagepoolxml2xmltest nodedevxml2xmltest
> interfacexml2xmltest cputest eventtest
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ruben/src/libvirt/tests'
>  CC     virshtest.o
>  CC     testutils.o
>  CCLD   virshtest
>  CC     conftest.o
>  CCLD   conftest
>  CC     sockettest.o
>  CCLD   sockettest
>  CC     nodeinfotest.o
>  CCLD   nodeinfotest
>  CC     qparamtest.o
>  CCLD   qparamtest
>  CC     virbuftest.o
>  CCLD   virbuftest
>  CC     commandtest-commandtest.o
>  CC     commandtest-testutils.o
>  CCLD   commandtest
>  CC     commandhelper-commandhelper.o
>  CCLD   commandhelper
>  CC     seclabeltest.o
>  CCLD   seclabeltest
>  CC     hashtest.o
>  CCLD   hashtest
>  CC     qemuxml2argvtest.o
>  CC     testutilsqemu.o
>  CCLD   qemuxml2argvtest
> /usr/bin/ld: ../src/.libs/libvirt_test.a(libvirt_driver_la-lock_manager.o):
> undefined reference to symbol 'dlclose@@GLIBC_2.2.5'
> /usr/bin/ld: note: 'dlclose@@GLIBC_2.2.5' is defined in DSO
> /lib64/libdl.so.2 so try adding it to the linker command line
> /lib64/libdl.so.2: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [qemuxml2argvtest] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ruben/src/libvirt/tests'
> make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ruben/src/libvirt/tests'
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ruben

This is because of the locking manager using dlopen but not linking
against libdl explicitly. The VirtualBox driver happens to link libdl
in, but without it libdl is missing, We currently link libvirt with
libdl when the VirtualBox driver is enabled or when driver modules are
enabled. We need to link with libdl unconditional now. I'll post a
patch for this.

Matthias