[libvirt] Questions on libvirt storage internals

Shehjar Tikoo shehjart at gluster.com
Thu Jun 30 10:23:49 UTC 2011

Hi All

I am working on integrating GlusterFS with OpenStack so that VM volumes can
be placed on shared GlusterFS volumes. I would highly appreciate if you
please help me find the answers to some questions:

1. Whats the difference between a storage driver and a storage backend driver?

2. Why does virDomainAttachDevice code path call the corresponding
domainAttach function in the hypervisor driver and not the volume or pool
creation method if a disk is being attached? Does it assume that the volume
has already been created before this call?

3. Which part of libvirtd source handles receiving messages from the
libvirt client?

Thanks
-Shehjar