[libvirt] RFC: Increasing number of processes allowed for qemu user

Jiri Denemark jdenemar at redhat.com
Wed Mar 2 15:28:46 UTC 2011

Hi all,

When libvirt is running on a system with limited number of processes allowed
to be created by the user under which qemu processes are run, we hit
scalability issues.

My take on this issue is that it's in fact a host configuration issue and it
should just be documented that users need to increase the limit if they're
going to run large number of domains or on a large number of VCPUs.

I don't think libvirt should be involved in changing the limit in any way,
especially since it's not possible to change the limit in runtime as doing so
can only affect new processes.

However, I'd like to be sure this is also the thinking of broader community,
esp. Dan :-)

Jirka