[libvirt] qemuDomainMonitorCommand

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Sun Mar 6 17:40:16 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've been looking at the qemuDomainMonitorCommand interface and I see a
few issues with it.

The current interface can take a JSON string and return a JSON string
but it only works for successful commands.  I'd like to hook this
interface up to libqmp but it would mean dropping all of the error
messages.  Errors are extremely important because certain workflows
require parsing specific error output (like changing a device with an
encrypted disk) in the normal execution path.

Additionally, there's no way to get QMP events.  With QMP events, it's
important to expose the timestamp and tag fields too.

Is there a reason the raw QMP session wasn't exposed?

With registered events, we should be able to distinguish events meant
for libvirt with events registered by QMP passthrough so perhaps we can
also expose events in a new interface?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori