[libvirt] Network Interface: How to disable virbr0 correctly?

Jake Xu jake at demonwaremail.net
Mon Mar 7 21:32:13 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Recently, I have been using libvirt to create virtual machines on ESX
servers. It has been very well until to the point where I couldn't find any
way to disable/remove the virbr0 interface properly.

We use static configuration for VMs on ESX so we do not need to use virbr0
interface and we do not want libvirt to configure iptables as a result of
the newly created virbr0 interface.

I have tried to remove/rename the /etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/autostart.xml
file, and that prevents virbr0 being installed.

However, that also seems to prevent the second interface eth1 being
configured properly. After libvirt defines a VM, eth0 and eht1 are both
installed, but only eth0 is configured properly.

The eth1 does not appear in the /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-xxx
file. It seems to me that the 'autostart.xml' file interrupts the
configuration of the eth1 interface.

Can anyone please advise how I can do this properly?

Thanks a lot,
Jake