[libvirt] Network Interface: How to disable virbr0 correctly?

Jake Xu jake at demonwaremail.net
Tue Mar 8 19:35:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Matthias Bolte <
matthias.bolte at googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2011/3/8 Jake Xu <jake at demonwaremail.net>:
> > Hi Cole,
> > Thanks for the wiki link. It would be so useful if the ESX driver
> supported
> > those commands. It seems like the ESX driver does not support most of the
> > network or interface configuration.
>
> What do you mean by " those commands"?
>
> The problem with implementing ESX networking support in libvirt is
> that ESX's and libvirt's network model don't match directly and it's
> not entirely clear how two map those two in a useful way.
>
> Can you be more specific about what you need in terms of network
> management?
>
> Sorry if I did not make it clear. For commands, I meant the net-list,
net-destroy, etc commands in virsh.

I am actually using the libvirt Python-bindings to write scripts which
automate the VM creation process. All I need in terms of network management
is that I want it to have two interfaces eth0 and eth1 with static ip
addresses(gateway, subnet, etc), so I don't need any other extra
configuration such as virtbr0 provided by libvirt/libvirtd daemon. Is there
any way to prevent libvirtd daemon being installed on the guest VM?

> > Regarding the eth1 interface, I am not sure why the autostart.xml could
> > affect bringing up eth1. Before I made changes to the autostart.xml or
> > renamed the folder completely, the VMs have all interfaces installed:
> eth0,
> > eth1, virbr0 (even though the virbr0 and its iptable rules seem to be a
> bit
> > difficult to get rid of). After I renamed the autostart folder, I was
> able
> > to remove the virbr0 interface and iptable rules, but the eth1 can't be
> > brought up successfully as described in the opening post.
> > Thanks,
> > Jake
>
> Are you installing libvirt inside the VMs and running libvirtd? Why
> are you doing that?
>
> Matthias
>
> No. I am running libvirt with its Python-bindings on a Ubuntu PC, and
remotely creating VMs on ESX server. Since I am creating VMs on ESX server,
I don't really need libvirtd. It would be nice if I can disable libvirtd
before it's being installed on VMs.

Thanks so much for your help,

Jake