[libvirt] how to install 'devel' module from source files...

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 9 09:37:58 UTC 2011

2011/3/8 john alexander sanabria ordonez <john.sanabria at correounivalle.edu.co>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering how, when libvirt is installed from sources, to also install
> the 'development' files?
>
> I installed libvirt-0.8.8 with no problems and 'virsh' works OK. However,
> when I try to install, for instance libvirt-ruby, it asks me for libvirt
> development files.
>
> What extra step is required?
>
> Thanks,

When you compile from source then the development files (header and
pkg-config files) have been installed by "make install" too.

Maybe you configured libvirt with custom prefix and the ruby-libvirt
build can't find them because of this. I just tested it with the
default prefix (/usr/local) for libvirt and it works for me.

Matthias