[libvirt] Question about PHP licencing for libvirt-php (php-libvirt for Fedora)

Radek Hladik r.hladik at cybersales.cz
Thu Mar 10 12:03:57 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Dne 10.3.2011 12:12, Michal Novotny napsal(a):
> On 03/10/2011 12:05 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

>>> Can we check with Radek if it's okay to switch to LGPLv2 ?
>> I assume you actually mean LGPLv2+ (ie the or-later variety)
>>

> Well, I agree that LGPLv2+ license would be better. We need to wait for
> Lyre's and Radek's reply then.
>
> Michal

   Unfortunately answer to this simple question is more complicated than
I would like. The project is "just" binding between two projects. It
means that there is no cutting edge algorithms and/or programing methods
used. So I prefer to use license that will allow widespread use of the
project and ensure that if someone needs some additional function he/she
will add them and share with others. But would this show to be more
restrictive I do not mind so much lowering this requirement to be voluntary.
	On the other hand the project is binding two projects with different
licences together. And thats the part where it gets complicated. The
LGPL style licence would suit my ideas from last paragraph. But on the
PHP website ( http://www.php.net/license/contrib-guidelines-code.php ):

>     * GPL or LGPL licensed code cannot be used as a basis for any derived work contributed to PHP.
>     * Extensions which link GPL'd libraries will not be accepted.
>     * Extensions which link to LGPL libraries will be strongly discouraged.
The libvirt itself is under LGPL. When I was creating the spec file I
had to fill in some licence. And to be honest I was more focused on
getting the spec file working than on choosing the licence so I just put
PHP in there.
To summarize this: I do not mind to licence my code under any version of
LGPL. If you think that its better than PHP licence, then its ok with
me. I would not mind having it under PHP licence if it would help to
spread the project even for the cost of not requiring to publish the
changes.
And about the name. I do not mind changing it as for the Fedora or
because of the PHP restrictions. It is the same story, I started to code
the extension, I had to learn how to do it, etc... so I did not solve
the licencing issue and I did not notice that PHP has some restrictions
on naming...

Radek