[libvirt] access with VNC and graphic interface

Dmitry <ilyin idv1985 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 14:53:53 UTC 2011

28.03.2011 15:10, Kenneth Nagin пишет:
> libvirt provides vnc to access the VMs under its control.
> However, I can not get applications with graphical interface to run when I
> use vnc to access a VM.
> The same applications will display properly if I ssh -X to the VM.
> Is there anyway to overcome this problem?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Kenneth Nagin
>

> --
Libvirt doesn't provide vnc console, it's only framework to manage running of
kvm/xen/vbox processes, which can provide vnc access to virtual machine's console.
You should think of this virtual machine as of real machine than needs X server
to run gui apps. Do you have X server running on your virtual machine? You do
not need X server started on virtual machine if you are using ssh X forwarding
because you are executing app process on virtual machine and forwarding its
connection to X server to X server running on your host/remote machine. (Yes,
this method is great because it allows to run gui aps on headless server).

BTW even if you will run X on you virtual machine you will have problems with
copy/paste buffer which will not work through kvm vnc, so maybe you'll better
with ssh -X.