[libvirt] [Libvirt-announce] 0.9.0 freeze week, RC2 version to test

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Wed Mar 30 15:44:03 UTC 2011

On 30/03/2011, at 2:16 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 30/03/2011, at 1:46 AM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 02:25:38PM +0800, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I will regenerate a rc2 as soon as Eric pending patch queue and
>>> outgoing fd patches are in as I think they should really make 0.9.0
>>> There may be more infrastrcucture patches from Dan too, I'm unsure
>>> and as usual pushing bug fixes are okay too,
>>
>> Okay, patches from Eric, Dan, Markus and Osier are in, so it was
>> time for RC2 , and I guess we are really starting the freeze now :-)
>>
>> ftp://libvirt.org/libvirt/libvirt-0.9.0-rc2.tar.gz
>>
>> Please give it some testing,
>
> Same problem with virsh on OSX.  Straight out hangs and never gets
> to the prompt.

The commit that seems to be causing the problem on OSX is this one:

commit 2ed6cc7bec41dd344d41ea1531f6760c93099128
Author: Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>
Date:   Wed Mar 2 16:59:54 2011 +0000

    Expose event loop implementation as a public API

    Not all applications have an existing event loop they need
    to integrate with. Forcing them to implement the libvirt
    event loop integration APIs is an undue burden. This just
    exposes our simple poll() based implementation for apps
    to use. So instead of calling

       virEventRegister(....callbacks...)

    The app would call

       virEventRegisterDefaultImpl()

    And then have a thread somewhere calling

        static bool quit = false;
        while (!quit)
          virEventRunDefaultImpl()

    * daemon/libvirtd.c, tools/console.c,
      tools/virsh.c: Convert to public event loop APIs
    * include/libvirt/libvirt.h.in, src/libvirt_private.syms: Add
      virEventRegisterDefaultImpl and virEventRunDefaultImpl
    * src/util/event.c: Implement virEventRegisterDefaultImpl
      and virEventRunDefaultImpl using poll() event loop
    * src/util/event_poll.c: Add full error reporting
    * src/util/virterror.c, include/libvirt/virterror.h: Add
      VIR_FROM_EVENTS

Moving to the commit right before it, and virsh works starts
up fine.  With the above commit though, virsh just hangs on OSX.

The options compiled in for the above testing were:

  Compiled with support for:
   Hypervisors: OpenVZ VirtualBox ESX Test
   Networking: Remote
   Storage:
   Miscellaneous: Debug Readline

Anyone have ideas for a workaround or other useful things to
test?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift