[libvirt] [RFC: PATCHv4 00/15] outgoing migration via fd: rather than exec:

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Mar 10 01:45:40 UTC 2011

v3 has not had complete reviews yet, located at:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-March/msg00132.html
I'm posting v4 rebased on the latest tree, to get more feedback
and possibly ACKs for the earlier half of the series.

Differences in v4 (still incomplete):
rearrange some of the earlier patches, incorporate Paolo's feedback

Currently well-tested through patch 11.  Remaining patches (12-15) are
compiling but not yet tested, but should form the basis for doing
compressed migration.  Also available via:

git fetch git://repo.or.cz/libvirt/ericb.git fd-migration

Still to go - I really hate that doCoreDump can't use fd-migration
until I make it compute qemuCaps; really, we should be computing
caps once at vm startup, and remembering it elsewhere

doCoreDump only works to regular files and fails on root-squash
NFS, it should be possible to fix that

I really need to write virCommandKill, which silently kills
an async child process (if one is running) without overwriting
any error messages

Needs more testing - especially on root-squash NFS

Eric Blake (15):
  qemu: use lighter-weight fd:n on incoming tunneled migration
  qemu: consolidate duplicated monitor migration code
  qemu: improve efficiency of dd during snapshots
  qemu: support migration to fd
  util: use SCM_RIGHTS in virFileOperation when needed
  qemu: allow simple domain save to use fd: protocol
  qemu: simplify domain save fd handling
  storage: simplify fd handling
  util: rename virFileOperation to virFileOpenAs
  util: adjust indentation in previous patch
  qemu, storage: improve type safety
  qemu: use common API for reading difficult files
  qemu: consolidate migration to file code
  qemu: skip granting access during fd migration
  qemu: support fd: migration with compression

 src/libvirt_private.syms      |    2 +-
 src/qemu/qemu_driver.c        |  626 ++++++++++++++++-------------------------
 src/qemu/qemu_migration.c     |   45 +--
 src/qemu/qemu_monitor.c       |  124 ++++++++-
 src/qemu/qemu_monitor.h       |    4 +
 src/qemu/qemu_monitor_json.c  |  125 +--------
 src/qemu/qemu_monitor_json.h  |   23 +--
 src/qemu/qemu_monitor_text.c  |  123 +--------
 src/qemu/qemu_monitor_text.h  |   23 +--
 src/storage/storage_backend.c |   80 +++---
 src/util/util.c               |  161 ++++++++----
 src/util/util.h               |   15 +-

1.7.4