[libvirt] how to assign an ip when assign a NIC or VF to the Virtual Machine?

guan qin qinguan0619 at gmail.com
Sun May 8 02:56:54 UTC 2011

thanks for your reply !

The second solution you mentioned may be difficult , because when I assign
the ethX to the VM, the X in the 'ethX' is random (the  'X' in the host may
be different in the VM),I don't know it before I boot the VM . so maybe I
couldn't edit the guest correctly before booting VM.

The first solution :
The network card's MAC address I can know and assign an fixed  IP in
advance, but for the VFs , before I create the VF by "modprobe
igb/ixgbe
max_vfs=num1,num2" ,I couldn't know the MAC address before either,the MAC
address generated randomly too.
So maybe I should edit the DHCP server configure file after creating the
VFs.

At first , I want to make the ethX name eth0, in that case, I can edit the
guest before booting the VM ,and I also can use the DHCP to dynamicly assign
an ip to the VM without editing the DHCP server configure file . but because
of unknowing the MAC address , I don't know how to  use udev to bind the
netword card or VF to eth0 ?

I decided to first try the first solution you mentioned.

best regards,
qinguan