[libvirt] documentation request

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu May 12 17:57:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 03:00:17AM -0500, Igor Serebryany wrote:
> I'd like to make a request to the people on here to change
> the way documentation is done when libvirt is changed. I'd love to see
> two things in the documentation with every change:
>
> 1) Version tracking -- every feature that's added should always list
> which version it was added in

"Feature" is an interesting one.  For APIs (which are not really like
features) there is a page that covers this.  You'd be forgiven for not
finding it since it took me about 10 minutes to find it:

http://libvirt.org/hvsupport.html

For features, the best you can do is probably look at the release notes:

http://libvirt.org/news.html

> 2) Examples -- especially for the changes to domain XML, every new
> attribute should be demonstrated in the example box for that section

Agreed.  Actually Justin was working on this documentation issue, but
he's now doing Aeolus stuff.  Patches are welcome of course.  If you
work out how to use those two APIs, you might as well update the virsh
and/or API documentation by sending a patch.

Going further, I think that patches that add new features but don't
add sufficient documentation and examples should be rejected.

Rich.