[libvirt] API Proposal: virDomainBlockPull() (Block device streaming) V4

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:00:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Adam Litke <agl at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> /**
>  * virDomainBlockPull:
>  * @dom: pointer to domain object
>  * @path: Fully-qualified filename of disk
>  * @cursor: pointer to a virDomainBlockPullCursor, or NULL
>  * @flags: One of virDomainBlockPullFlags, or zero
>  *
>  * Populate a disk image with data from its backing image.  Once all data from
>  * its backing image has been pulled, the disk no longer depends on a backing
>  * image.
>  *
>  * If VIR_DOMAIN_BLOCK_PULL_CONTINUOUS is specified, the entire device will be
>  * streamed in the background.  Otherwise, the value stored in @cursor will be
>  * used to stream an increment.
>  *
>  * Returns -1 in case of failure, 0 when successful.  On success and when @flags
>  * does not contain VIR_DOMAIN_BLOCK_PULL_CONTINUOUS, the iterator @cursor will
>  * be updated to the proper value for use in a subsequent call.
>  */
> int                 virDomainBlockPull(virDomainPtr dom,
>                                       const char *path,
>                                       virDomainBlockPullCursor *cursor,
>                                       unsigned int flags);

If this function is used without VIR_DOMAIN_BLOCK_PULL_CONTINUOUS then
the "end" value is unknown.  Therefore it is not possible to calculate
streaming progress.  Perhaps instead of cursor we need a
virDomainBlockStreamInfoPtr info argument?

> NOTE: Qemu will emit an asynchronous event (VIR_DOMAIN_BLOCK_PULL_COMPLETED)
> after any operation that eliminates the dependency on the backing file.  This
> could be a virDomainBlockPull() without VIR_DOMAIN_BLOCK_PULL_CONTINUOUS and
> will allow libvirt to manage backing file security regardless of the pull mode
> used.

Currently QEMU does not change the backing file when incremental
streaming is used (instead of continuous).  This is because it is hard
to know whether or not the entire file has finished streaming - it's
an operation that requires traversing all block allocation metadata to
check that the backing file is no longer necessary.

Stefan