[libvirt] API Proposal: virDomainBlockPull() (Block device streaming) V4

Adam Litke agl at us.ibm.com
Tue May 24 12:36:36 UTC 2011

> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 11:56:03AM -0500, Adam Litke wrote:
>> Here is version 4 of the BlockStream API (now called BlockPull).  Hopefully this
>> version addresses all remaining concerns and I can begin to work on the code.
>> Does everyone approve of the new name 'virDomainBlockPull'?
>>

>> Changes since V3:
>>  - Renamed the API to 'Block Pull' to emphasize the effect of the API over its
>>    method of operation.
>>  - Changed virDomainGetBlockPullInfo() to accept a path argument and to return
>>    information about that path alone.
>>  - Added a new virDomainEvent to report final status when using CONTINUOUS mode.
>>
>> /*
>>  * Block Pull API
>>  */
>> typedef enum {
>>     /*
>>      * If set, virDomainBlockPull() will operate on the entire device in the
>>      * background.  The status can be checked and the operation aborted by
>>      * using the functions virDomainBlockPullInfo() and
>>      * virDomainBlockPullAbort().
>>      */
>>     VIR_DOMAIN_BLOCK_PULL_CONTINUOUS = 1,
>> } virDomainBlockPullFlags;
>>
>> /* An iterator for initiating and monitoring block pull operations */
>> typedef unsigned long long virDomainBlockPullCursor;
>>
>> typedef struct _virDomainBlockPullInfo virDomainBlockPullInfo;
>> struct _virDomainBlockPullInfo {
>>     /*
>>      * The following fields provide an indication of block pull progress.  @cur
>>      * indicates the current position and will be between 0 and @end.  @end is
>>      * the final cursor position for this operation and represents completion.
>>      * To approximate progress, divide @cur by @end.
>>      */
>>     virDomainBlockPullCursor cur;
>>     virDomainBlockPullCursor end;
>> };
>> typedef virDomainBlockPullInfo *virDomainBlockPullInfoPtr;
>>
>> /**
>>  * virDomainBlockPull:
>>  * @dom: pointer to domain object
>>  * @path: Fully-qualified filename of disk
>>  * @cursor: pointer to a virDomainBlockPullCursor, or NULL
>>  * @flags: One of virDomainBlockPullFlags, or zero
>>  *
>>  * Populate a disk image with data from its backing image.  Once all data from
>>  * its backing image has been pulled, the disk no longer depends on a backing
>>  * image.
>>  *
>>  * If VIR_DOMAIN_BLOCK_PULL_CONTINUOUS is specified, the entire device will be
>>  * streamed in the background.  Otherwise, the value stored in @cursor will be
>>  * used to stream an increment.
>>  *
>>  * Returns -1 in case of failure, 0 when successful.  On success and when @flags
>>  * does not contain VIR_DOMAIN_BLOCK_PULL_CONTINUOUS, the iterator @cursor will
>>  * be updated to the proper value for use in a subsequent call.
>>  */
> [...]

I don't think abort is the same as failed in this case.  An abort is
triggered by the API user whereas a failure is not.  If a user issues an
abort, they should know to stop waiting around for PULL_COMPLETED.  A
failure is unexpected and thus absolutely needs an event to be raised.

--
Adam Litke
IBM Linux Technology Center