[libvirt] RFC: APIs for managing a subset of a domain's disks

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri May 6 17:04:15 UTC 2011

> How about just adding flags into the disk XML, eg:
>
>   <disk>
>     <flags>
>       <migrate>false</migrate>
>       <snapshot>false</snapshot>
>     </flags>
>   </disk>
>
> (Don't sweat the details; the important point is that these are a
> property of the disk which is permanently attached to that disk
> through the XML).

Thanks for throwing a different perspective on this - and I think I'm
prone to agree with you (especially since with my idea I'd have to
modify the xml anyways to keep the set persistent over libvirtd
restart).  And good timing, since I haven't yet started implementing my
original alternative.

Yeah, there's still some bike-shedding that could be done on what the
xml looks like, and maybe my proposed APIs still make some sense for
being able to explicitly modify that portion of the xml in a more
convenient manner, but you've convinced me that representing it
accurately in xml is an important first step.