[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] qemu and qemu.git -> Migration + disk stress introduces qcow2 corruptions

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Sat Nov 12 13:39:22 UTC 2011

On 11/12/2011 04:27 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 04:03 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>
>> I don't view not supporting migration with image formats as a
>> regression as it's never been a feature we've supported.  While there
>> might be confusion about support around NFS, I think it's always been
>> clear that image formats cannot be used.
>
> Was there ever a statement to that effect?  It was never clear to me and
> I doubt it was clear to anyone.

You literally reviewed a patch who's subject was "block: allow migration to work
with image files"[1] that explained in gory detail what the problem was.

[1] http://mid.gmane.org/4C8CAD7C.5020102@redhat.com

>> Given that, I don't think this is a candidate for 1.0.
>>

> Let's just skip 1.0 and do 1.1 instead.

Let's stop being overly dramatic.  You know as well as anyone that image format
support up until the coroutine conversion has had enough problems that no one
could practically be using them in a production environment.

Live migration is an availability feature.  Up until the 1.0 release, if you
cared about availability and correctness, you would not be using an image format.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori