[libvirt] "make rpm" failing with git head on RHEL6

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Wed Nov 9 07:01:30 UTC 2011

On 09/11/2011, at 9:52 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 11/08/2011 02:37 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
>>
>> Found the problem with the NEWS file.  It's because libxslt wasn't installed.
>
> Should we be adding libxslt as a maintainer's prereq in bootstrap.conf?
>
> That is, I think bootstrap.conf should require all packages necessary to create a functional tarball from libvirt.git, even if those packages are _not_ required to successfully build an already-available tarball.

That sounds like it will fix the problem, pretty much permanently (until further requirements happen).

Definitely in favour of that. :)

>> Still haven't found out the problem with probes.h though.  Now looking at
>> that again.
>
> On 11/08/2011 01:58 AM, Wen Congyang wrote:
> > I think you do not install this package: systemtap-sdt-devel.
>
> So that sounds like systemtap is another maintainer prereq.

It's not the problem.  For me anyway.

To clarify, systemtap-sdt-devel is already installed.  Doing a brand new autogen.sh, then
compiling normally with:

  make -j 3

Goes through to successful completion.  All good.

It's only "make rpm" which is having the problem:

  make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jc/git_repos/libvirt/src'
  make[2]: *** No rule to make target `probes.h', needed by `distdir'.  Stop.
  make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jc/git_repos/libvirt/src'
  make[1]: *** [distdir] Error 1
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jc/git_repos/libvirt'
  make: *** [rpm] Error 2

So, it sounds like there's something rpm specific which needs kicking into shape.

Attaching the full session log file, showing the autogen run, the normal make run,
and the make rpm run.  Hopefully it helps. :)