[libvirt] 0.9.7 virsh console regression?

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Fri Nov 11 15:03:20 UTC 2011

On 10.11.2011 00:26, Albert W. Hopkins wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a few "headless" qemu domains that use serial consoles.
> Typically i connect to the consoles with
>
>         # virsh console <domain>
>
> However with 0.9.7 I get
>
>         Connected to domain gentoo-base
>         Escape character is ^]
>         error: internal error character device (null) is not using a PTY
>
> I am still able to connect to the console if i go into the virt-manager
> gui and use the "gui" console, but I'd rather not do that as sometimes I
> don't have access to the gui.
>
> Is this a regression or am I expected to do some kind of migration on my
> domains.

Yes, it is a regression. Runnig git bisect says it's caused by this patch:

0873b688c6771a6901d7ec95f5b8e88cc957947b is the first bad commit
commit 0873b688c6771a6901d7ec95f5b8e88cc957947b
Author: Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>
Date:   Wed Feb 23 18:27:23 2011 +0000

    Allow multiple consoles per virtual guest

    While Xen only has a single paravirt console, UML, and
    QEMU both support multiple paravirt consoles. The LXC
    driver can also be trivially made to support multiple
    consoles. This patch extends the XML to allow multiple
    <console> elements in the XML. It also makes the UML
    and QEMU drivers support this config.

    * src/conf/domain_conf.c, src/conf/domain_conf.h: Allow
      multiple <console> devices
    * src/lxc/lxc_driver.c, src/xen/xen_driver.c,
      src/xenxs/xen_sxpr.c, src/xenxs/xen_xm.c: Update for
      internal API changes
    * src/security/security_selinux.c, src/security/virt-aa-helper.c:
      Only label consoles that aren't a copy of the serial device
    * src/qemu/qemu_command.c, src/qemu/qemu_driver.c,
      src/qemu/qemu_process.c, src/uml/uml_conf.c,
      src/uml/uml_driver.c: Support multiple console devices
    * tests/qemuxml2xmltest.c, tests/qemuxml2argvtest.c: Extra
      tests for multiple virtio consoles. Set QEMU_CAPS_CHARDEV
      for all console /channel tests
    * tests/qemuxml2argvdata/qemuxml2argv-channel-virtio-auto.args,
      tests/qemuxml2argvdata/qemuxml2argv-channel-virtio.args
      tests/qemuxml2argvdata/qemuxml2argv-console-virtio.args: Update
      for correct chardev syntax
    * tests/qemuxml2argvdata/qemuxml2argv-console-virtio-many.args,
      tests/qemuxml2argvdata/qemuxml2argv-console-virtio-many.xml: New
      test file

Let me investigate further and write a patch

Michal