[libvirt] Re: [FYI] Skript to extract qcow2 snapshot info to libvirt snapshot xml

Nicolas Sebrecht nsebrecht at piing.fr
Thu Oct 20 09:38:13 UTC 2011

The 20/10/11, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 08:50:35AM +0200, Philipp Hahn wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I sometimes get foreign qcow2 images with embedded snapshots. Without the
> > corresponding XML files libvirt doesn't recognize them. Therefor I created
> > the attached script to fake-create the missing snapshot XML files.
> > Be advised that the XML files might not work in all cases, especially when the
> > configuration was changed between snapshots, but at least I prefer a solution
> > working 95% of the times instead of 0% ;-)
> > And since I already wrote it, others might find it useful as well.
>
> I wonder if we ought to put this in the libvirt source tree under
> examples/ or something like that. Or turn it into a proper script
> at tools/virt-qemu-import-snapshots ?

Or a proper command to export/import VMs like

  # virsh export domainone --no-disks > domainone.dom   # (gzip tarball?)
  # virsh import domainone.dom

The tool would do whatever is needed behind the scene (pause, add memory
to the archive, etc).

We could have the same for pools, networks, etc.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht