[libvirt] building failed

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Oct 31 17:27:25 UTC 2011

> Trouble is we don't want everyone who does have 'convert' to be
> constantly dirtying the png files. So sounds like I just need to
> re-create the PNGs - merely twiddling a bit in the PNG text
> comment field will trick GIT into thinking they've changed

Do you get identical png files with consecutive runs of convert, or do
the contents of the binary files differ with a rerun?

[/me tries it...]

They differ - probably a timestamp, at a minimum.  And the time to fire
up the first convert is non-trivial (it gets better on subsequent runs,
due to caching, but .25 seconds on my machine is still noticeable).

It almost sounds like we want the rules to generate the .png to NOT be
present during a normal build, but to be something that a maintainer has
to consciously rerun.

>> Also, if it helps, we can exempt the .fig files from the git
>> whitespace hooks (is this a case of the normal tools for modifying
>> fig files generating the trailing space by default?).
>
> Yeah, xfig leaves a bogus trailing whitespace on 1 line in the file

Have you reported a bug against xfig?  At any rate, since xfig is the
preferred editor, it seems like we are probably better off providing the
exemption than having to manually clean up after xfig every time we
touch the .fig files, since those are the preferred source file format
for our binary pngs.