[libvirt] specifying rbd images in libvirt

Sage Weil sage at newdream.net
Thu Sep 1 21:07:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 12:19:33PM -0700, Sage Weil wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Currently, you can specify an rbd (or nbd, sheepdog) image with xml
> > that looks like so:
> >
> >     <disk type='network' device='disk'>
> >       <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
> >       <source protocol='rbd' name='mypool/myimage'>
> >         <host name='monhost1.mydomain.com' port='6789'/>
> >         <host name='monhost2.mydomain.com' port='6789'/>
> >         <host name='monhost3.mydomain.com' port='6789'/>
> >       </source>
> >       <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>
> >     </disk>
> >
> > This works okay if you have authentication disabled and all of the default
> > settings are okay.  Usually, though, there are other options you need to
> > specify to librbd to make it do what you want.
> >
> > The current schema can be abused by adding options after the image name
> > like so:
> >
> >     <disk type='network' device='disk'>
> >       <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
> >       <source protocol='rbd' name='mypool/myimage:conf=/etc/ceph/ceph.conf:id=admin:this=that:foo=bar'>
> >         <host name='monhost1.mydomain.com' port='6789'/>
> >         <host name='monhost2.mydomain.com' port='6789'/>
> >         <host name='monhost3.mydomain.com' port='6789'/>
> >       </source>
> >       <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>
> >     </disk>
> >
> > This works only because that's what the qemu incantation looks like.  In
> > general, though, this is ugly.  I also doesn't generalize well to the
> > kernel-level rbd driver, which we'd like to also support, as that will
> > work with hypervisors other than qemu.
>
> Also, we should be doing some validation on the content of
> the 'name' attribute to prevent abuse like that.
>
> > What about something more like this?
> >
> >     <disk type='network' device='disk'>
> >       <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
> >       <source protocol='rbd' name='mypool/myimage'>
> >         <option name='conf'>/etc/ceph/ceph.conf</option>
> >         <option name='id'>myusername</option>
> >         <option name='foo'>bar</option>
> >         <host name='monhost1.mydomain.com' port='6789'/>
> >         <host name='monhost2.mydomain.com' port='6789'/>
> >         <host name='monhost3.mydomain.com' port='6789'/>
> >       </source>
> >       <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>
> >     </disk>
> >
> > I'm not married to any particular syntax/schema, as long as there is a
> > generic way to specify name/value pairs to configure the driver.  I think
> > the above would generalize well to other network block devices as well,
> > which presumably also want a way to feed in information other than a
> > server address (e.g. for authentication).
> >
> > Does that look reasonable?  If there are no objections we can work up some
> > patches and send them along!
>
> We generally prefer to add explicit models for attributes, rather than
> just do a generic key/value passthrough.

Fair enough.  For the qemu/librbd and kernel drivers, the key fields we
need are:

 id - ceph userid to authenticate as
 snap - snapshot name (optional; used if mapping a read-only snapshot)

The goal would be to have libvirt describe rbd images in a generic way,
and let you managed them as a storage pool via librbd.  Then, when it
comes time to spin up an actual VM, either use the native qemu support or
map a kernel block device.  To control that it might make sense to have an
option like

 driver - librbd (qemu-only), kernel, or auto (default)

to let users control which driver to use in the qemu case.

> For authentication credentials, we also need to consider security
> implications of keeping them in the XML. For qcow2 encryption
> keys, we leverage the separate libvirt secrets management APIs
> to provide the keys outside the XML. IMHO we should likely do the
> same for any keys required to login to network block devices.

Usually we keep secrets in a file on disk and reference the file when
starting up librbd or mapping a kernel rbd device.  It's possible to
specify it explicitly but that is discouraged.  So by specifying id=foo
above, librbd would normally look for a key called foo in its default
keyring file.

We can definitely use the libvirt secrets API to store these keys there,
too.  In that case, we would need something like

 keyname - name of the libvirt secret to use for authentication

What do you think?

sage