[libvirt] how did libvirt manage Virtual Network?

Wayne Xia xiawenc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Sep 9 02:16:33 UTC 2011

     Working at the network management, I am a bit confused about the
VLAN model in libvirt.

     in the xml definition, there is a section as following:

   <devices>
     <interface type='network'>
       <source network='default'/>
     </interface>
     <interface type='network'>
       <source network='default' portgroup='engineering'/>
       <target dev='vnet7'/>
       <mac address="00:11:22:33:44:55"/>
       <virtualport type='802.1Qbg'>
         <parameters managerid='11' typeid='1193047' typeidversion='2'
instanceid='09b11c53-8b5c-4eeb-8f00-d84eaa0aaa4f'/>
       </virtualport>

     </interface>
   </devices>

     What is the really meaning of its related parameters of
"virtualport"? I want to discover informations such as VLAN id,
the switch type( software switch or hardware switch), connecting
relationship, but from the xml I can only found "managerid". I am not
sure how to map these xml information to those I needed, could I
consider managerid as VLAN id, and a portgroup as a specified VLAN group?
     By the way to use virtualport, what components should I install on
Linux?

--
Best Regards

Wayne Xia