[libvirt] domain shutdown requests

Christian Benvenuti (benve) benve at cisco.com
Fri Sep 16 01:36:05 UTC 2011

I (re)tested it with 0.9.4 and it does shutdown.

> > Is this the expected behavior?
> >
> > Shouldn't virsh do something like this when it issues a shutdown
> > request?
> >
> >   if (domain.state == PAUSED)
> >     resume(domain)
> >
> >   shutdown(domain)
> >
> > If yes, then I guess this logic should go
> > - into the cmdShutdown routine if we want to make it available to
> virsh
> > only,
> > or
> > - inside the driver's domainShutdown fn if we want to make it
> available
> > to any
> >   libvirt user.
> >
> > One more minor comment.
> > As of now, "virsh list" (or 'virsh domstate <domain>') does not
> provide
> > any way of
> > knowing if
> > - a domain is being shutdown
> > or
> > - a domain has a pending shutdown request (like in the example
> above).
> >
> > Would it make any sense to enhance the output of list/domstate , for
> > example to
> > show something like this when libvirt issues a shutdown to a running
> > domain
> >
> >  Id Name                 State
> > ----------------------------------
> >   3 FC15-2               running (shutdown in progress)
> >
> > Or something like this when it issues a shutdown to a PAUSED domain?
> >
> > Id Name                 State
> > ----------------------------------
> >   3 FC15-2               PAUSED (shutdown request pending)
>
> The request is not pended...

In my test it is: as soon as I do "resume", the guest initiates the
shutdown.

> I perfer to resume the guest before shutdown it in ther driver.

In  this case the shutdown command should return something like

    "Domain XXX is in PAUSED state. You need to resume it first..."

instead of

    "Domain XXX is being shutdown".

/Chris