[libvirt] libguestfs integration: rich disk access for libvirt applications

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Sep 28 18:00:49 UTC 2011

>> We do have a historical syntax from Xen paravirt which lets us call out
>> to a helper at boot time, namely the "<bootloader>" element. With Xen
>> this is typically something like pygrub, or pxegrub, which does some
>> work and writes out a kernel+initrd into temporary files, and prints
>> the file paths + any kernel args on stdout.
>>
>> We could just wire up this concept in KVM too without any real trouble,
>> and then we could have guestfs-bootloader script todo the magic setup
>
> I'm fine with this.
>
> Are there security implications to allowing users to add<bootloader>
> clauses pointing at random scripts that get run on remote machines as
> different users?

No more so than the fact that we let random clients specify <disk>
devices to random devices on remote machines.  Right now, granting
non-read-only connection rights to a user effectively gives them root
access to the machine.  There's eventual plans to further restrict
things via per-command ACLs, and this should be considered during those
plans, but until then, I don't see it as any larger a hole than anything
else already present in libvirt design.